The Traditional Mass The New Mass A sacrifice linked to the sacrifice of the Cross, expressed in:
1. Offertory = oblation of the victim
2. Double consecration = immolation of victim
3. Communion = consummation of victim
The entire Mass is directed toward the sacrificial act. Sacrifice is the primary end; thanksgiving is one among other secondary, subordinate ends.
A meal linked to the Last Supper, expressed in:
1. Presentation of the gifts = berakah or blessing of the food, leading up to the Offertory, wherein the Jewish grace before meals is the main prayer
2. Eucharistic prayer = canon of the New Mass; it is primarily a prayer of thanksgiving for the gifts received; it is in this context that the consecration is performed
3. IG n.48 = breaking and partaking of the bread instead of consummation of the victim
The Mass is a memorial meal, which makes the mysteries of Redemption present, among them the sacrifice of the Cross and the Resurrection, which have at least equal footing
First of a series.